Feeding the famished family

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Super Easy Stir Fry

Today my husband woke up at 3 with errands to run (that's pm, since he works graves). Since Bugs missed him and wanted to spend time with him, I thought it would be a good idea (ha!) to run errands together as a family. I regretted that once I realized we were finally going to be getting home at 6 and Roo's bedtime is 7, and Bug's is 8. Not much time for messing around. Especially considering I didn't have a plan for dinner yet. Oops.

Anyway, I came up with stir fry as an easy and fast dinner for tonight's meal. And it was a hit!

Bug's plate, ready to go. Okay, okay, I admit it-- the chopsticks are a prop. She didn't use them. But then again, she's only 2!

____________________________________________________________________

In your rice cooker (something I feel is an essential kitchen item), put in desired amount of rice and water and set to "cook." Or I suppose you could cook your rice conventionally if you must. Follow the instructions listed on your rice's packaging.

Cut four chicken tenders or one chicken breast half into small pieces. In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 or 3 T sesame oil on medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook through stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes. Add 2 T oyster sauce and 2 T soy sauce.

Add approximately 4 cups of frozen stir fry vegetables. I use the huge bags you can buy at Costco, mainly because they have the little corn in them and Bugs loves those. Plus it's cheaper to buy them in the huge bag. Add 2 t Asian seasoning (I use Essence of Emeril) and 1 t sesame seeds. For a regular stir fry, you would continue stirring, but because these are frozen vegetables it cooks faster if you cover for a few minutes until they are cooked through.

Serve over mounds of rice.
_____________________________________________________________________

Feeding a very young toddler like Roo is a difficult task sometimes. They have food sensitivities and sometimes have reactions. I do think my pediatrician's suggestion to take Roo to the emergency room for a rash over her mouth, chin and eyes was a little overboard, though. DH said she was probably covering her butt and didn't want to be held liable if she told me something different and there were serious consequences. Instead I ignored that part of her advice and just gave her Benedryl, like she suggested. The rash was almost gone within a few minutes of taking the food away, washing her hands, and giving her Benedryl. As a treat for enduring the medicine, we gave her watermelon for dessert. Yum! I was hoping as a pleasant side effect of the Benedryl, she would sleep soundly for more than 1 hour at a time, but since quarter to 8 when she fell asleep, she's woken up 3 times. Whoops, make that 4 times. Gotta go!

No comments: