Feeding the famished family

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Minestrone Soup

Minestrone soup is simply a thick Italian soup made with vegetables. And it is also one of my specialties. You know it's good when your two year old says, "Mom, this is delicious!" Every morsel of food placed on Roo's tray was devoured. Bugs asked for seconds. Sweet hubby was disappointed that the girls and I ate all the leftovers so he was only able to have one serving.

This is one of those meals that I can make in a hurry when all else fails. I always keep cans of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, and boxes of pasta (I typically use Barila Plus because of the added nutrition and whole grains) in the pantry, and bags of Italian vegetables in the freezer. I usually stock up with three or four bags when I buy them so I have plenty on hand for those days when I don't feel like thinking about dinner.

____________________________________________________________________

Bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. To it, add approximately 4 ounces of pasta. Cook until al dante. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a soup pot on the stove set to medium, drizzle in 2 T olive oil and add 3 cloves garlic, minced (I use jarred garlic, though "real" chefs and foodies will argue that fresh tastes much better-- I can't tell the difference personally). I then sprinkle in 2 t Italian seasoning (McCormics) and a pinch of rubbed sage. Once the room starts to smell garlicky, pour in two 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes (you can use Italian style if you like) followed by two cans of water and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Add 1/2 t celery salt and bring to a boil. Add one bag of Italian Style frozen vegetables and bring back to a boil. Drain and rinse one 15 ounce can kidney beans and add the beans and the cooked pasta to the soup.

Serve with crusty bread and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I like making the bread fresh and grating the cheese at the table.

No comments: